From family property to luxury holiday accommodation
n the period from 1892 to 1895 not only Château du Bois Noir was built, but also the Waggoner’s house and the farmhouse with horse stables and cowsheds were extended. During the construction of the château, Colonel Adolphe Gerhardt and his wife and children lived in the purchased farmhouse.
"French antique broker Jacques Charpin has decorated the château with antique furniture, paintings and carpets"
Tradition tells that, at the end of the 18th century, Colonel (Gustave) Adolphe Gerhardt (1824-1915) and his troops were travelling through the Corrèze. They also passed the region of L‘Yssandonnais including Perpezac-le-Blanc. He was instantly impressed by the beauty of the scenery and had his troops encamp for months in-between Brignac-la-Plaine and Yssandon, up against the sloping hills of Le Bois Noir. On June 29, 1867, at the age of 43, he married the 21-year-younger Blanche Cecile Green de Saint-Marsault, who lived at Château du Puy on the hills of Perpezac-le-Blanc.
Immediately after his retirement in the year 1891, Colonel Gerhardt bought the family Etienne Dellac’s farm and the farming fields and started the construction of a château, completely in the style of the Renaissance. In 1892 the excavation of the cellars started, together with the construction of the château. The construction lasted four years and Château du Bois Noir was completed at the end of the year 1895.. Not only the castle was built, but the Waggoner’s house and the farmhouse with horse stables and cowsheds were extended. During the construction of the château, Colonel Adolphe Gerhardt and his wife lived in the purchased farmhouse.
After the colonel passed away in 1915, his son Louis Gerhardt inherited the property with the château. In between 1927 and 1937 Louis Gerhardt sold all of the property, piece by piece, such as the houses, the farmhouse, the farming fields and finally the château as well. In 1937 the château with his park was bought by Monsieur Robert Chantalat (1904-1980) a well-known regional novel writer, of the aged of 33, with his wife and children. The Chantalat family lived in Paris and used their new property mainly as a summer residence. In 1941 he wrote the novel "Bernard de Ventadour, troubadour du XIIe siècle" at Château du Bois Noir ".
Château du Bois Noir stayed in this family’s possession for more than 40 years, and in March of 1976 monsieur and Madame Bouissou bought the property of the heiresses of the deceased regional novel author Robert Chantalat. In that period, the Bouissou family have largely made habitable the château again, after which it was sold to the French antiquarian Monsieur Jacques Charpin and his partner in 1988. They fully furbished and decorated the château with antique furniture, paintings and carpets, all to be sold. After the death of Monsieur Jacques Charpin in 2004, his partner was forced to sell the château.
In 2006 the château was purchased by the current owners Henriëtte and Hendrikus van Ampting. In four years, the château was completely renovated and restored. They have made their dream come true and transformed the château into a luxury stay for groups who rent the château for summer vacations.
CASTLE FOR SMALL GROUPS
Contemporary luxury and comfort in combination with the authentic atmosphere of 1890. An ideal place for a holiday with family or friends of 12 to 14 people (self catering).